The course aims to provide students with a broad overview of design and digital fabrication. Using a mix of classroom sessions, hands-on lab work and self directed project work, this course will facilitate the learner to engage in a creative design process, appreciate design principles as a problem solving activity and gain an understanding of the role of digital fabrication in a design skillset.
- The History Of Design.
- Understanding And Interpreting Design Briefs.
- The Concepts Of Design Practice.
- Material And Manufacturing Processes.
- The Tools Of Visualisation And Presentation.
- 2D drawing & 3D Computer Aided Design.
- Digital Fabrication Tools And Fab Labs.
This course would suit those who are thinking of returning to education or considering changing their career path. The qualification achieved can also be used to assist “mature” college applicants in creating a portfolio of work that can aid them in obtaining further third-level study or for those seeking to start or expand their design CV.
- Gain a recognised QQI Level 5 Design qualification.
- Understand and appreciate Design principles.
- Learn how to use Design as a problem solving activity.
- Gain hands-on experience with Digital Fabrication technologies such as Laser Cutting and 3D Printing.
- Build a portfolio of Design work.
- Complete a real world project from Design Brief through to Manufacture.
- Develop academic and vocational language, literacy and IT skills related to Design.
- Learn how to work effectively both individually and with others in a Design team.